Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Disappointment. July 31, 2012

What I learned about myself today:
I don't know how you passed the time when you were a kid, but I myself was winning World Series' in my backyard almost everyday.  "First and Third, two outs, bottom of the 9th, game 7 of the World Series, Chris Stewart steps to the plate.  Chris already has 3 homeruns on the night and one more will win the Championship for the Oakland A's.  He watches ball one, spits out some sunflower seeds and steps in for the second pitch.  'Crack!'  It's deep!  It may be out of here... it's gone and the crowd goes wild! 'Roar!' and he is being carried from the field on his teammates' shoulders!"  As a kid I really thought I could hit a 99mph fastball 450ft and to this day, even as an adult, I still think I should excel at everything I face.  Now, I have the challenge of running a marathon and when I have a bad day, it just kills me.  So, I set out to research the latest gear and the most high tech shoes, thinking: "It can't be me; it must be my equipment."  During the course of my research, I stumbled upon this article in the NY Times 'Well Blog.'  http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/weight-classes-aim-to-balance-races/?smid=pl-share.  I am 208lbs and I expect to run a marathon as quickly as someone who is 150lbs.  Physically, it is just not possible.  But in my head, I see myself crossing the line and qualifying for the Boston Marathon.  However, the article states that running an 8 minute mile at my weight is like someone 50lbs lighter running a 6 minute mile during a marathon.  Still, it's not very reassuring to know that a bunch of 150lb weaklings can kick my butt at something, so I'll have to take some comfort in knowing I could body slam them at the finish line.  

Marathon Training July 31st
30 minute run in 95 degree heat.  Distance = not good

I will try again tomorrow and I will do better.  No excuses!  ...Even if I am a "Clydesdale," in "marathon speak."

No comments: